While the 2020 pandemic has taken a toll on modern business, there are some industries that have greatly benefited. Mobile applications are the best example of digital prosperity. Mobile usage has taken a new turn in the age of social distancing. Mobile apps are now used for everything from conferencing, gaming, shopping, and payment.
The mobile app development industry has seen rapid growth with more than 33 billion apps downloaded and $28 billion in-app purchases. Additionally, there have been 180 billion hours of application usage worldwide. According to the latest report from App Annie, the third quarter’s performance has turned out to be phenomenal in terms of year-by-year metrics, increasing consumer spending by 25% and app time usage by 20%.
Marketers are now focusing their attention on mobile advertising, given the incredible results of Q3. The number of mobile apps is increasing at lightning speed. It’s worth taking a closer look at how the mobile app market develops and rises to new heights in the global marketplace during crisis.
We’ll also share useful statistics and mobile app trends. In 2020, we’ll show you the top 10 most popular apps.
How 2020 has Changed Mobile App Development
The world has seen a dramatic transformation in the past year, and digital is no exception. Mobile development has seen a lot of changes thanks to COVID-19. It brought new trends and consumer behavior patterns to the industry, which is causing it to evolve quickly. Let’s take a look at some of the most significant changes.
Mobile Applications: The Most Recent Trends
Businesses and developers need cutting-edge technology to survive in the mobile application market. Based on the predictions made by international thought-leaders and senior Ukrainian mobile app developers, we’ve highlighted the relevant trends for the 2020 mobile market.
- Machine Learning (ML), and Artificial Intelligence(AI) are gaining popularity over the years. They have become a powerful tool in marketing. These technologies are useful for app development as they can improve chatbots and enable real-time translation. They also allow customers to analyze their behavior.
- Blockchain is expected be a major mobile development trend. It will be integrated into modern apps to offer better security.
- Virtual and Augmented reality (AR,VR) play an important role in many mobile apps. Brands can increase their loyalty by offering product demos, interactive guides, virtual showrooms, and other ways to build brand loyalty. TechCrunch claims that AR mobile technology could be the main driver for a $108 billion VR/AR industry.
- Progressive web applications (PWA), also known as web apps that can be downloaded without downloading, have demonstrated remarkable performance. This has helped to lower development costs and increase conversions. After launching a web application, Alibaba saw a 76% increase in conversion rates.
- Cross-platform mobile apps (PWA) will work hand-in-hand to ensure seamless user experiences on all operating systems and software platforms. It’s simpler to reach new customers if your product is compatible with multiple OS.
- Internet of Things (IoT) is another example of innovative technology that will make consumers’ lives simpler and more efficient. It allows remote control of devices via a mobile app. The phone can control all the devices and connect them to each other. What more could you want?
The New Consumer Behavior and Expectations
Another recent report from App Annie states that the new consumer behavior caused by COVID-19 is centered around deriving value from mobile services. Mobile apps are used by people today to monitor their health, play games and share photos on social media. They also download apps for education, shopping at home, and entertainment. This has made mobile a significant revenue generator. As we have already mentioned, mobile apps saw a 25% increase in monthly usage compared to Q3. This has definitely influenced the expectations of new users that developers should take into consideration.
- App Annie suggests that businesses capitalize on news and finance apps in order to stay current with consumers, especially regarding the crisis and COVID-19.
- Expect high demand for education and business apps. This means that flexible apps for remote work, engaging learning and education will be key to Edtech’s future success.
- The same report states that the next e-commerce boom will come from food delivery and shopping apps. Mobile shopping was able to surpass holiday shopping levels which would normally take 4 years.
- Mobile gaming continues its popularity with users. Now that mobile games can be played anywhere, marketers have the opportunity to maximize their revenue from ad placements on gaming mobile apps.
The App Development Market: What’s New and What’s Old?
Although the market for mobile apps is always changing and evolving, this year’s changes to the industry have been extraordinary. Let’s look at some previous years’ data to see how the industry has changed to become mobile-dominant.
- Mobile app revenue was $53B worldwide in 2012. In 2016, this number had risen to $63.7B;
- In-app advertising was also implemented in gaming apps by mobile app developers in 2017. That, in turn, set a new trend designed to boost mobile transactions, according to a 2017’s Statista report;
- Business of Apps reports in 2018 that Google Play revenue was $24.8B and App Store with $46.6B;
- Sensor Tower’s 2019 data revealed that the total mobile application revenue reached $39.7B in 2019, a 15.4% increase over the previous years;
- In 2020, app stores have seen more than $50B in consumer spending, increasing global downloads by 25%;
- Despite the epidemic, mobile ad placements rose to 70% in 2020.
App Development in Ukraine
Ukraine is well-known as a creative and innovative country. With great outsourcing opportunities and a highly skilled workforce, Ukraine’s potential in app development growth is rapid and the country is taking a leading position in the international arena.
Currently, there are more than 100 mobile app development companies, most of which are EU and US-based with a remote app development team in Ukraine.
As told by TechCrunch, modern smartphone owners use 30 mobile applications per month. 49% of users open their favorite apps more often than 10 times per week, while only 21% of Millenials use their apps more frequently than 50 times per month. This means that people love to find new apps. Here is a list of top apps that have recently been released and downloaded from the App Store or Play Market.
What can you expect from the mobile application industry
App Annie predicted that the pandemic would last a long time, just as it would for mobile consumer behavior. It’s clear that this is only the beginning, considering the new statistics on the number of mobile apps used and the amount of money spent on them, as well the rise in mobile trends.As a Ukrainian remote R&D center specializing in hiring IT & development talents, DNA325 has successfully matched US companies with Ukrainian teams to help them produce amazing digital products. This year was a disaster for many small businesses but it opens up a lot of opportunities for growth with the advent of the mobile era. Our expert team is here to help you with your projects.